Friday, March 22, 2019

Eastlake Arcturan Mega-Saison

Eastlake Arcturan Mega-Saison. 8.4 % ABV. 34 IBU. Eastlake Craft Brewery, Midtown Global Market, Minneapolis, MN. Brewed with pink grapefruit and ginger.

I wrote about the 2017 bottled version of this beer, which has been brewed since 2015 (I remember it's newness when I worked there), back in July of last year. I'm not 100% certain if this is the 2019 version or the 2018. I want it to be fresh, of course, but I wouldn't be too unhappy if this were an aged version. Though the thought of it sitting on a shelf for a year is rather sad.

Clouded, bright gold, slim ivory head.

In the nose: Sweet, fruit, funk, spice. Big citrus. Belgian yeast character. Tons of flavors.

In the mouth: Ginger strikes first, with grapefruit not far behind. Smooth, turning sharp. No pussywillow, this. Full-flavored, medium-bodied, long finish. Lives long on the palate. A perpetual delight. Alcohol comes on the horizon. Boom, boom, boom, boom, to quote John Lee Hooker. But it lasts just long enough. Not too fatal, in the end.

I'm as fond of this beer as I was when it was first produced, and I'm they glad that they continue to make it.

The star we call Arcturus is known as the harbinger of spring, for the time in which it appears in the night sky. Arcturus is also home to many types of mega-fauna, known by the phrase "One's soul moves at the pace of an Arcturan Megacamel." So, if you can't find Arcturan Mega-Gin, you might as well go with Arcturan Mega-saison." 

Much of the above is taken from a work of fiction by Douglas Adams called "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy", which I enjoyed as a teenager, and still do. There were two live-action versions, a TV series for the BBC in the 80's, and a major motion picture in 2005. Even though Adams was active in both, I'm partial to the first. The film is too American-ized, in my opinion. Took so much Englishness away. Talented as he is, Sam Rockwell doesn't compare to Mark Wing-Davey as Zaphod Beeblebrox. Who's just this guy, you know. And if I went on, I would have not very nice things to say about Martin Freeman and Zooey Deschanel and Mos Def or whatever he calls himself these days, or etcetera, etc.



If you are new to the Guide, and you have a few hours to spare, go here:


No comments: