Thursday, March 21, 2019

Wild Mind Leia Hazy IPA

Wild Mind Leia Hazy IPA. 6.5% ABV. 25 IBU. Wild Mind Artisan Ales, Minneapolis, MN.


Another Hazy IPA. What do I have to say about another hazy IPA?

Thick, thick, thick. Cloudy as she gets. Hefty chalk white head. Dull yellow color. Not especially attractive. Or, maybe...in the light, it looks a little nicer.

In the nose: Sweet. Hoppy. Yeasty. Chalky. Some citrus. Trifling tropical.

In the mouth: Thick and yeasty on the palate. Dry and chalky. A little bit of juicy, but not much. Sure, berry, but only a hint, if at all. Just a touch. I'm not getting much of this tropical and plenty of the grass. (I've peeked a bit at the brewery notes before writing my own, something I never do.)

I keep drinking hazy IPAs and pooh-pooh-ing them. And then I try another and reach the same conclusion. Hey, I've got consistency going for me. But the brewers don't stop brewing them and everyone but me doesn't stop liking and drinking them. Again, it's not my ideal IPA, but it ain't bad. And you can drink it. (Is that a new version of my motto?)

I can't help but like a beer named for Princess Leia Organa of Alderaan, and that's why I include the video below in honor of Carrie Fisher.

Part of a trio of hazy IPAs featuring Ella hops, an Australian variety that provides bright aromas of fresh cut grass and tropical fruit flavors. Leia was brewed with 2-row barley, malted wheat, flaked oats, and pairs Ella with Mosaic hops,which provide her beer with a hint of berry.



No comments: