Saturday, March 16, 2019

Junkyard Biocumulus Sour IPA with lactose

Junkyard Biocumulus Sour IPA with lactose. 6.4 % ABV. Junkyard Brewing, Moorhead, MN.

Clear, bright golden hue, large and lace-leaving head atop. Looking lovely.

In the nose: Tart, floral, fruity. Citrus and pine.

In the mouth: Big sour from the start, with with a judicious dose of fruity. Nice brace of hoppiness, completely covered by the sour. Medium bodied, and fairly smooth and tasty.

Why the lactose, though? I can't even taste it. Not sure what it's there for. Are the brewers just going through the ropes, tossing in the lactose out of habit? Am I not supposed to taste it? Is it in there to stave off the hop bitterness I crave in an IPA? These questions and more plague my mind. If anyone wants to school me on this, go right ahead.

Sour IPA, eh? Well, I like this one. Refreshing and delicious. Can't argue with the results.

No comments: