Wednesday, March 27, 2019

Town Hall Vine's Eye 2019

Town Hall Vine's Eye 2019. American Honey Ale (Eye Of The Storm) aged in red wine barrels. 9.7% ABV. Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery, Minneapolis, MN.

This beer has been made since last year, and it's my first time reviewing it. Growlers were sold out before I could get them last year, as is often the case with Barrel Aged Week offerings. There was one in 2017 called Eye Wine Red, and I'm not sure what, if anything sets them apart. Perhaps it was because that year there was Eye Wine Red, as well as White. And the base beer, Eye of the Storm? I can find no evidence that I've ever taken notes on it. This seems terribly, terribly wrong. I just don't understand it.

Wait. Looking at my review of Eye Wine Red, it looks like I shared my notes on Eye of the Storm from 2007. So, I either I didn't search correctly, or once again, a review got lost on BeerAdvocate. Sigh....

Anyway, here we go, into the growler:

Clear, bold gold coloration, slim whitish head.

In the nose: Sharp, sweet, strong. Honey meets wine this time. Brash expressions.

In the mouth: More sweet, more sharp, more big and boozy. Complexities abound in this. Red wine tannins bump against buzzing honey sweetness, a tasty tug of war. Mead-like, wine-ish, and boom, boom, boom, boom.  The remainder of the glass unfinished at the table went with my to the nightstand, as companion into my surrender to slumber.

No comments: