Thursday, March 14, 2019

Harp Lager

Harp Lager. 4.5 % ABV. 21 IBU. Imported from Ireland. Guinness Brewing, St. James Gate, Dublin. Est. 1960. (The beer, I presume, not the brewery.)

It's that time of year again, when the sales reps try to push their Irish-brewed and Irish-themed beers in time for one of the dumbest celebrations in America. "Everyone's Irish, let's get drunk!" Bah.

And so I end up with samples of Irish beers that I would never put on tap where I work, because they just don't fit our theme or the general scope of what we do. If people want to celebrate, there will be locally brewed craft beers with an Irish angle.

And I have these, and I always promise that I'll review any bottle, can, growler or crowler that fits it's way into my fridge. Lo, and behold, I've never reviewed any of these. And here's the first one:

Clear, pale yellow color, sizable ivory head.

In the nose: soft, slight, minority malty. Brief touch of corn, cereal. Typically lager-y.

In the mouth: Modicum of hop bitterness, more malt, very light and inoffensive. A little bit crisp. Mostly clean. Drinkable, forgettable. If it's "just beer" that you're drinking, go right ahead.

I'd drink this without a fuss if I had no other choice, but otherwise....eh...







The best selling premium irish import lager in the world today. This rich, golden pilsner style lager, with a smooth, refreshing hoppy taste, is brewed the irish way, using only the finest barley and pure spring water from the Cooley Mountains of Dundalk, Ireland

No comments: