Friday, March 29, 2019

Inbound Barrel Aged Russian Imperial Stout (RIS)

Inbound BrewCo.Barrel Aged Russian Imperial Stout (RIS). 11.4 % ABV. 77 IBU. Inbound BrewCo, Minneapolis, MN. Bottle 125/500.

I thought that "RIS" was an abbreviation. Inbound is using it as the name for their Russian Imperial Stout. The staff at the taproom is calling it "Ris". (Not everyone, actually. Just this one guy.)
It reminds me of the time I heard a friend pronounce "D.I.P.A." as if it were a word, rather than abbreviation. "Dippa." We don't say "Ippa", or "Eye-pa", we say "I.P.A." And we shouldn't say ""Rizz." I'd rather they didn't. Oh, well. I can't fix everything just by complaining. There are breweries out there calling their Russian Imperial Stouts "Russian Stouts." A little reminder: Russian Imperials did not come from Russia.

I've had this before, at the taproom, and on tap at Acadia. Made sure to get another keg of it this year. And now, for my first bottle.

Solid blackness, under a rich brown head of foam. Ultimately impenetrable.

In the nose: Whiskey, first. Bourbon barrel. Molasses, brown sugar, anise. Smoke, tobacco, cocoa. Deep stuff. Arresting and arousing.

In the mouth: Slightly sweet, strong, and bursting with flavors. All those from the nose come on board the palate. Dark fruit mixed with chocolate, and a touch of coffee. Bourbon Barrel covers it all. It's sweet, bitter, hoppy, rich, luxurious and uncommonly smooth, all at once. Alcohol content comes roaring out. It is a most excellent nightcap.

A lot of rich malt goodness coating the palate, and lasting long through the finish. So many layers of deliciousness. I'm liking this lots. Paid $17 for the bottle at the taproom. I'll be back for more.

Our Russian Imperial Stout aged in Buffalo Trace bourbon barrels for five months. The result is a rich, smokey, chocolatey, and fruity-estery Barrel Aged RIS.

No comments: