Friday, June 17, 2022

Hammerheart Thor’s Fury Returns Imperial Hot Pepper Porter

 Hammerheart Thor’s Fury Returns Imperial Hot Pepper Porter.

10.7% ABV. Hammerheart Brewing, Lino Lakes, MN. 


I wasn’t sure if I was going to actually drink this. I am historically not crazy about pepper beers, although I did like the original Thor’s (Though, importantly, Ive never had Thor’s Fury.) When Nate dropped this off at the store, he suggested we sell it as singles, being so extreme that many may not want to drink four of them. And so we did. And I will drink it, and chase it with Malört, because I have a streak of masochism.

Strictly Stygian hue, complete opacity, ringed with a rich brown head.

In the nose: cocoa and molasses, sweet and malty. Dark and creamy, with an increasing, encroaching heat. 

In the mouth: Bam! Wow! Water....! Punishing peppers attack the senses. Sweet, then heat, then bitter, for I went for the Malört. Seriously, though, I’m going to need some water. 

Pull the glass back up to the lips again, and the fury is unleashed again. Intense attack on the palate, unrelenting heat, with the sweet, malty imperial porter holding down the fort. I wish I could taste more of it, but the peppers consume all. 

Will I finish the Fury? I hope so. The water helps. The Malört? Hell, no, what was I thinking? Yuck! 

Luckily, it mellows some further into the glass...nope, spoke too soon, it most certainly does not? Or am I hardening, becoming inured? Nope, definitely not. 

Thor’s Fury Returns is the second iteration of Thor’s Fury. For this iteration, we let dehydrated Brown Moruga Scorpion and Pimenta da Neyde peppers soak in a batch of regular Thor’s Porter. Both peppers have natural chocolate and Smokey notes. These peppers we’re grown in collaboration with “Pepper Steve”. Original artwork by Austin Lunn.

No comments: