Monday, June 20, 2022

Outstate Brewing Blue Northern Light Lager

 Outstate Brewing Blue Northern Light Lager. 

4% ABV, 10 IBU. Outstate Brewing, Fergus Falls, MN.


Back in August of last year, when my niece’s wedding ended unexpectedly early, my family convened at my brother Ken’s house. Now, Ken’s taste in beer doesn’t go much farther than Michelob Golden Draft Light, so when he said “I’ve got a beer for you”, I didn’t know what was coming my way. He handed me a can of Outstate’s Hazy IPA and told me that his son Shawn brewed it. I knew that Shawn was an award-winning homebrewer, but had no idea that he’d gone professional. I haven’t seen my nephew in many years. He likes to stay up in Fergus Falls. It is a three hour drive.

And someday I’ll get up there and drink his beers and have a reunion. Today, I am reviewing my first of his beers thanks to my brother Wayne finding them at a store up North when he went camping with his family. Thanks, Wayne.

Clear, bright golden hue, slim ivory head atop.

In the nose: clean, lightly hopped, slightly floral, minor malt, touch of grain. 

In the mouth: clean and crisp, smooth and slightly malty. Exquisitely light of body. Tasty enough. Definitely a beer Ken would like.

This is the first beer of six, from a mixed pack. I’m starting light and moving up.

Experience greater in a light lager. Clean and clear like the skies of outstate Minnesota, this full flavored lager shines from an all-malt grain bill, and finishes with a touch of citrus from a late addition of Amarillo hops. Light, Crisp, Refreshing, Malty, Clean 

No comments: