Thursday, June 16, 2022

Schell’s Cave-aged Barrel-aged Dark Lager Series

 Schell’s Cave-aged Barrel-aged Dark Lager Series. Limited edition. Slowly aged in wooden barrels. 

Dark brown color, nearly black, almost opaque, under a brief brown head.

10.89% ABV. August Schell Brewing, New Ulm, MN. 

In the nose: dark malts. Cocoa and coffee. Caramel, maple, brown sugar, smoke. Vanilla and oak. Whole lot going on here. 

In the mouth: deep, dark, wonderfully complex. Smooth, dark, malty brew wrapped up in barrel flavors. Dark fruit covered in cocoa, espresso, Earth. Wood transforms all, mellows, blends and cool, while piling on richness and deliciousness. So very good. 

I bought a single bottle of this, like a damned fool. I could have had as many as I wanted, but I waited too long. Make that mistake no more, I tell myself, and hope that I listen. 

Inspired by our roots in the days before refrigeration, our Cave-Aged Barrel-Aged lager is released each fall after spending time aging in the historic caves deep below our brewery. High in alcohol content with hints of sweet caramel, oak, and vanilla.

No comments: