Sunday, March 13, 2011

Central Waters Peruvian Morning 2011


Central Waters Peruvian Morning 2011

"A bourbon barrel aged imperial stout made with freshly roasted Emy J's coffee. This beer is as complex as it gets. Flavors of vanilla, tannins, and coffee meld together to create a flavor as deep as the ravines of the Peruvian Andes."

Muddy brown appearance, rocky tan head, lovely to look out, delightful to know.

Nose is full of chocolate and coffee, a little peppery spice, some molasses, dark rum, deep, indeed. All the makings of a great imperial stout, plus all the goodness of a coffee stout, but wait, there's more! Vanilla and oak, definitely, and the sweet, vast, ever-so-tempting bourbon barrel feel. Oh, yeah, it's all in here.

Tasting it: Mmmmm! Bourbon hits first, whiskey's all over this one, then the other flavors roll out. They can't sit for long, because with every sip the bourbon whiskey comes roaring back. A bit harsh, a trifle thick, brandy and cherries chime in with vanilla and oak. Blackberry and raspberry, too. Mostly vanilla and oak, though, some coffee hangs in there, somehow, but this is all about the bourbon. You'd have a hard time thinking there was anything else going on.
And, …actually? It's getting a little long with me. Too much too much. Oversoaked in the bourbon. Maybe if I am in Peru my mornings would be spent stewed in bourbon, but if the name means to evoke coffee, it's buried in there.

Full bodied, long finish, but not the flavors I want to soak in. Not so much. I almost don't want to finish the contents of the bottle. I will, anyway, but …eh, maybe I won't. Only a few ounces left, but it's over, it's done, I've been there and done that. Bleh. My tongue is tired already. Meh. Sorry, can't get too riled up about this one.

No comments: