Saturday, March 26, 2011

Weyerbacher Blithering Idiot Barley-wine



March, 2011, and I'm tapping my first keg ever of Blithering Idiot, part of the Imperial March series. November, 2003 was my first time cracking open a bottle. Those notes follow:

"My favorite beer name ever! It's what you inevitably have to call me when you catch me at my drunkest...
Appearance: deep, dark, tawny violet color, short, rusty head.
Aroma: heady, bold, sharp, strong, fruity, with notes of leather, dates, grapes, cherries, and pure alcohol.
Taste: rather smooth on the palate at first, big fruit, highly hoppy, muge malt, but nothing too obtrusive, very mellow, actually, with a thick raisiny feel on the palate. Rich and rounded, deliciously fruity, not as harshly alcoholic as some barlwywines, but rather nice.
Of course, I took my notes with information taken from the bottle (which gives away nothing) and my own perceptions. Now that I enter this in and see that it's a whopping 11.1%....now, WOW! Why did not have a greater impact upon me? Huh! Well, to conclude this transcription from my notes, "A very nice, hot, fruity, happy little barleywine."

No comments: