Friday, March 4, 2011

De Dolle Extra Export Stout


More De Dolle goodness!
Was it way back in December 2004 that I first had this wonderful Belgian stout? Yes, it was, actually. Here are the words I wrote then, and, look!, a picture of the bottle I drank the other day.

"Appearance: tawny, beefy brown, impenetrable, but for a nutty, almond-y bottom, with a big, blooming, gloriously fizzy creamy-toned head, slowly settling into a modest 1/2"...vibrant nose, yeasty, cocoa and cookie dough, slight cola tinge, nuts, and dark fruits, dates, prunes, with alcohol peeking through, and flavor comes off as very inviting, urging my my lips forward...
Taste...whoa! Bam-sham-a-lam! Forward flavor, hot and heavy, big on entry, and never ending...dark fruits, heavy molasses, anise, rich, almost syrupy, long, fiery finish. Brandy, cognac, whiskey, dark rum...delicious, deep, thick, massive, magnificent... I've got to get the local bottle shop to carry this...or do I? I can see this becoming a difficult, expensive addiction...yum...the strength is showing, and doing what it does...time to call it a night, but what a lovely way to close it...this is something else, a Belgian Imperial Stout, or so it feels...I've got to stock up on these, now that I've tasted it's glorious goodness, and have become an instant affirmed fan!"

1 comment:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.