Monday, March 28, 2011

Dogfish Head World Wide Stout


Way back when I first took pen to paper on the subject of this massive brew, it was available here in Minnesota. The current bottle I consumed the other night was purchased in Wisconsin. Probably should have bought more or held on to this long, for the brewery is pulling out of several states, including Wisconsin, due to an inability to keep up with local demand. Sounds similar to Surly's circumstances. But, even though I won't be able to buy one any time soon, I felt like drinking it, so, I did. Thankfully, I did not have a situation described in my previous pennings, in the far-flung past of March, 2003:

"Here it is, my first "real-time" review. I will type my thoughts as I drink, and it's no ordinary brew at all. This is my second bottle of this mighty stout, the first one gave me one of my worst hangovers of all time. It was my 5th beer of the night, but it counted for 5 more! I'm more in my right mind tonight...
First off, someone didn't like the label! The words "vim and vigor" are markered out! My guess is that someone in government beurocracy thought that the phrase suggested healthy properties to the beer. Idiots! So now it reads "A very dark beer brewed with ridiculous amounts of barley,"
Color is completelely, fully Stygian black, head is a good 1/2", that slims down right quick, and a tannish hue. Aroma is strong and powerful from the start. Magnificent! Deep, dark, roasty and toasty, boozy, rummy, ...the deeper I drinker in the nose, the more the alcohol kicks into my senses! Like a rich, roasted cognac! A stick of molasses candy, wrapped in a licorice whip and doused with a cocktail of Meyer's, Amaretto, B&B, and Booker's bourbon! This aroma is utterly unheard of! Now to drink the damned thing!
Gargantuan mouthfeel, thick, rich...well, really those phrases are useless in this case, I need something stronger. You bite, you chew, and this dark, lush, and, yes, dangerous elixir washes over the mouth , the senses swim, reaching and grasping for adequate words to describe the experience, yet always wanting. Alcohol is sharp and stinging, always present, always snaking itself up and in and "Drunkening". Malt is massive in this mammoth stout, providing thick flavor and booze, glorious booze. I can't detect a stitch of hops anywhere. So who needs 'em, Mac?
"How dry I am...how dry I am..nobody knows...how dry I--HIC!"
Tiny sips, brother, tiny sips, there's no guzzling allowed with this monster, unless you're some kind of maniacal masochist.
I had to take the drinkability factor way down because there's no way you can have more than one, unless you have a death wish.
I wish, I wish, I wish this came in tiny bottles and was a hell of a lot cheaper. That'd make a nice, lovely nightcap. I wish, I wish...yeah, all those wishes and a magic wand will grant me world peace and a date with Salma Hayek...
Oh!What!A!Beer!...Time for beddy bye, y'all!
Oh...this is lovely...yum..snzzzz..zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Serving type: bottle

Reviewed on: 03-24-2003 00:07:27

1 comment:

Vik Strong said...

beth and i have a 2009 we're hanging onto for a few more years. we'll have to look into having a little tasting when we break it out.