Thursday, March 24, 2011

Great Divide Yeti Imperial Stout



March, 2011, and Great Divide's Yeti Imperial Stout joins the ranks of Imperial March at the Blue Nile, the first tapping of this, or anything from this brewery, for us. March, 2004, was the first time I got my hands on a bottle. Here are those notes:

"I thought it was springtime, here in early March, but, look outside at all the falling snow, andI think it's time to escape into a comforting bottle of Imperial Stout!
Appearance: solid black color, dark as the Devil's skidmark's, with a lush, bubbly roasted, dark tan head...beautiful, can't wait to lift it to my lips, ah, but first, to smell...
Aroma: bittersweet espresso, rich cocoa, creamy, delicious, toasty, tasty, with further sensations of anise, molasses, dark rum, just lingering in association.
Taste: Ah! That's what I like! Full-on flavor, thick mouthfeel, rich, tasty, coating the entire palate with this dark delight, a chocolatey paradise in the mouth.
Not too heavy, either, not too overwhelming, not too dominated by alcohol, though it does slowly make it's presence felt, this is an exceptionally drinkable IS, almost surprisingly so. Even at 9.9%, it's not knocking me over the head with booze, not even halfway into this bomber, the integration is so perfect, it seems. Flavor never ends, and stews on the palate for nearly an eternity, for as long as it takes to enjoy this beer, which might be forever.
Were I a Coloradan, I'd stock up severely on this brew, and as I'm not, I can only lay back and enjoy it just this once!
Like a blissfully bewitching Butterfingers in the mouth, this one, and not about to overtake any in my Pantheon of Imperial Stouts, it admirably takes up the rear."

No comments: