Thursday, March 31, 2011

Southern Tier Choklat


Busy week, hard on the ol' liver. Saturday was Firkin Fest, Sunday the Bell's event at Bryant-Lake Bowl. The Wild One was excellent. And then, Tuesday, the Stone event at Stub & Herb's. Samplers of infusions of the Smoked Porter, a flight of Old Guardian Barleywine, 2008 Bourbon barrel-aged Russian Imperial Stout (which they for some reason call "Imperial Russian Stout".) and more. and more.
So, of course, I came down sick the next day, with a cold. Left myself vulnerable, I think. And everyone says, jokingly, I think, that beer is the cure. "Try a really hoppy beer, that'll unclog your sinus." Nah, that doesn't work. Alcohol only makes me sicker. And here we are in day two of no beer, day one of missing work. Think I'll be better tomorrow. Also, think I'll set aside some beer-less days more often, give the body a break.

So, let's look at something from a moment or two ago, a keg tapped Friday night, ran out earlier this week. Hugely popular, this 11% a.b.v. chocolate stout. People can't resist it. My first review of it was from a bottle, perhaps right around when Southern Tier first arrived in our market. August, 2008, was when it was.

"Notes are minimal, for I wrote while enjoying with a friend:

Choklat

thoroughly black, roasty tan head...

aroma: full on chocolate at first sniff...huge, rich, and bittersweet...it's no more or less than having real chocolate beneath your nose.

BAM! There it is all over the mouth. You're drinking chocolate. nice roast below the cocoa. good drinking, not too thick, not AS thick as I like from a RIS ...but it's all chocolate. I like a few other things ,sometimes...

that's enough, don't you think?"

No comments: