Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Boulder Mojo Risin' Double IPA


I first created notations for my tastings of this ale back in May of 2007. It's back on tap now, for Imperial March. Let's look at those old words, now, shall we, and also turn our eyes to the picture I took of beer next to tap handle, mere moments ago....in real time, baby!

"Lightly hazed, golden/peach-y hue...1/4" of creamy head holds guard on top...

Lovely aroma: pine, grapefruit, lemon, lime, a small bit prickly, but just right, as far as I'm concerned.

Taste: BAM! Big blast of bitterness, great splash of hops, then fading, leaving some bitterness in the back of the mouth, staying on the tongue. Long, bitter finish, but flavorful...terrific balance, this isn't all hops and nothing but, nice, juicy malt base...delicate, and delightful, but juicy, too..Medium-bodied, but long on the hop flavor.

I eschewed the bottles I saw on sale, knowing I'd be able to have this on tap in a convenient venue...(???)...it's a nice Double IPA, not among the fiercest, but somewhere in the middle tier, I'd say. Still, a treat to drink, and easily downable, without too much of a threat from the 10 % abv.

I give higher marks to DIPAs with huger hops, bigger bitterness, and massive mouthfeel...this is very nice for being not one of those."

No comments: