Thursday, March 17, 2011

Dave's BrewFarm Svengali


Growler #4, cracked at long last, 2 1/2 weeks after purchase. Why did I wait so long? It had to be the right time, when I could give it my full attention, and when I could afford to put away a liter of a 10% a.b.v. ale. Sure, I could have re-capped it for tonight, but, I couldn't resist drinking the whole thing. Here are my notes from last night.


"Svengali. 10% a.b.v. Like it's namesake, "Svengali" has the hypnotizing effect of a Belgian yeast. Pale malt, brown sugar, and Citra, Summit, and Warrior hops. Spiced with lemon grass, cinnamon, and turmeric. Caution is advised--this brew will put you in a trance."

Dense, thick, and hazy deep crimson hue, fine off-white head, dotted, lasting.

Aroma: gorgeous. Sweet, floral, and hoppy. It seems like an improbable combination of spices, cinnamon, lemongrass, and turmeric, but it makes an intriguing combo. Wow. Sublime.

Tasting it: Juicy malt, tidy, tasty bitter hop feel, and a bewitching panoply of spices.
It's a wonderful ride, there's a bit of bitter, plenty of tasty, light, juicy, fruity malt, and that tidy trickle of unique flavorings. Mmmm, mmm.

Alcohol strength stays meek and harmless at first, but roars in and becomes fierce, at last. Watch out!

Farmer Dave says people ask him all the time why doesn't do an IPA, and he replies, "why should I do what everyone else is doing?" Why should he chase trends, when he could be creating them? I enjoyed his single hop series of lagers (soon to appear in cans) more than many IPAs I've had lately.

This Svengali feels the closest he's yet done to an IPA, and if that's true, then he's doing fantastic. Another great beer that proves what Dave promised me years ago, that he'd make great beer that conforms to no category.

Although, if you pinned my arms behind my back, and made me cry "style", I'd probably have to call it a Belgian IPA, because the yeast flavor and the spicing, plus the hopping makes such a profound impact on the character. Belgian yeast seem to overtake everything.

No comments: