Thursday, March 24, 2011

Goose Island Pepe Nero


"Goose Island Pepe Nero 2011, Belgian-style farmhouse ale brewed with peppercorns. 6% a.b.v., 650 ml, develops in the bottle up to 5 years."…but I'm drinking it now.

Much darker than I'd expect from a farmhouse ale. But, yeah, they can be dark. Just about black. But who's counting? Smallish head, coffee-tinged, lacy.

Aroma has a nice roasty malt, coffee and bits of cocoa. Feels a little wheat, with a side of spice. Peppercorns? Hmm, yeah.

Tastin' it: Black malt jumps on board the palate, takes command, bitterness spreads. Big hops here, full-on malt, expressly easily drinking. Dark fruit runs around here, with the aforementioned cocoa/coffee combo. Black or chocolate malt mixing it up with Belgian yeast, I presume.

Quite unusual, I must admit. Drinking blindfold, would I guess it was supposed to be a "farmhouse ale"? Not likely. Would I have picked up on the Belgian aspect, whatever it is, without the prior knowledge? Not really, I might've pegged this as a porter, probably. Doesn't feel particularly "saison-y"…almost tastes like a black IPA, actually. Oh, well, keep blurring the lines, boys, keep on blurring.

It's tasty, roasty, toasty, chewy, gooey…and it's good beer, and you can drink it. That's a good one, two combo. let me assure you. All beers should have that.

No comments: