Friday, November 1, 2013

Deschutes Chasin' Freshies Fresh Hop I.P.A.


Deschutes Chasin' Freshies Fresh Hop Ale, 2013 Release, featuring Amarillo Hops, Deschutes Brewery, Bend, Oregon. 7.4% ABV.

You know what would've been a better glass for this beer? A nice pub-style pint glass, which I used to own with a Deschutes logo, until earlier when Sonny Boy the Cat jumped up on the cabinet and brushed up against it, just sitting there, waiting for me to put it away. Should I be mad at Sonny Boy? Can I? Is it possible? It's all my fault for leaving it there, and as a curious cat, he simply had to be where he had to be…sigh, it's all my fault. I have other Deschutes pints, too, but, no more worries, there's no point in that, let's pour this bomber and see what comes out…

Clear, golden, with a giant, bone-white head, leaving lace. Looking beautiful.

Aroma: ah! Fresh as can be, blooming with pineapple, mango, orange, tropical and citrus fruits galore. Floral, too, and utterly lovely. Just right.

Tasting it: Just yum, totally yum. Very lean-bodied, exquisite consumption, astonishing ease of drinking, with a light attachment of hop bitterness, but a long finish.

I feel like reading the label…"Like fresh powder, it's a seize-the moment kind of thing. This year we've chased down Virgil Granache Farns' famed Amarillo (Register mark) hops. At arrest, we rush the hops from the vine to our kettles to ensure we capture the purest, juiciest essence of the hop flower in every beer. Enjoy the bright, bold aroma and flavor that comes but once a year."

Bright and bold says it right. Delicious stuff. Grab it up while it's still fresh.

No comments: