Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Westmalle Trappist Tripel

Here's one of the good old good ones. I had my first bottle of this in one of my first ever trades, many years before the beer was available for purchase in Minnesota Took these notes in February of 2003, and I'm sticking with them:
Westmalle Tripel Trappist ale, 9.5 % ABV, 33 IBU, Brouwerij der Trappisten van Westmalle, Malle, Antwepen, Belgium.


When many a brew are lauded for their boldness and brashness, it's wonderfully refreshing to sit down and savor a perfectly balanced product that soothes and mellows. Westmalle triple is just such a delightful ale.

Color is a hazy orange, and the head's a full, towering stack of crackling, lacey, creamy foam.

 Aroma is led by sugar and spice, followed by everything nice.

On my first sip: sublime! Utterly heavenly! Light, smooth, uplifting, dazzling in every way.
Some fruitiness comes through in the middle, peaches, orange, slight citrus. Hops are lively, malt is solid, and delivers more than sufficient sweetness.
My satisfaction grows with each rewarding sip. I feel that I ought to re-consider every beer I deemed "perfect" prior to this. Soft, smooth, mellow, with a dominant and delightful finish.

Can a beer be better than this, be more perfect than perfect?

No comments: