Sunday, November 10, 2013

Green Flash Green Bullet Triple IPA, New Zealand Dry Hop

Another sample! Very fortunate, as recent samples had been beers I'd previously purchased. In the end, this is one that I would have gladly spent money on, but never forget: free is good.
Here are the notes:


Green Flash Brewing Company, San Diego, California.
Green Flash Green Bullet Triple India Pale Ale, New Zealand Dry Hop, Alc. by Vol. 10.1%. Besides all the legal mumbo-jumbo, refreshingly free of gobbledygook.

Hazy amber, slim white head.

Aroma: Fresh and vibrant hop nose, clean citrus and tropical fruit notes. Spins out wildly hoppy and delightful.

Taste: Intensely and refreshingly bitter hop bite right at the top. Medium-bodied, moderate malt base, leaving plenty of space on the stage for hops to shine. Citrus notes are increasingly bitter, bright, clean and tasty. Pungent is another word to use on this one, extra-zesty is another, and strong is useful, as well.

There's a very unique flavor in this Green Bullet, and I've used all the descriptors I have on hand. This something I can't pin down about it. I said "clear" and I want to add "crystal"…what else works? Some of the words I want to bring up might not make sense…"scintillating?" Does that work? "Sizzling?" What is it that is so unique to this hop and this big bomb of a triple IPA, such as it is?

I may not know what it is, but I know that it works.

No comments: