Thursday, January 11, 2018

Barrel Theory Pullover Starter Jacket IPA

You know what highly hyped up new brewery I haven't talked about yet? Whose only appearance so far has been a coaster or two in the background collage, and a couple of mentions here and there? Yep, Barrel Theory in St. Paul. Been dragging my feet on putting out a report based on my three visits so far, for far too long. My last visit was when I bought two crowlers, for the very first time. I'll save the other one for when I write them up, but let's look at this one, first.

Here we have Pullover Starter Jacket, IPA with El Dorado, Columbus and Mosaic. 7.2% Alcohol by Volume. Canned on 12/28/2017, purchased on 12/31. One of 3 IPAs available in crowlers that day, out of the, what, six they had on tap.

Heavily hazed (it's the craze), golden-hued, lush ivory head, looking very nice.

In the nose: bright fruit notes, some papaya, pineapple, citrus tones, too. Just a touch of sweet in there to mingle with the bitter. Tropical takes the crown, though.

In the mouth: Big, beautiful, bountiful bitterness hits the lips first and foremost. One gulp begs another. Nice. Growing bitterness pleases this palate. Malt is crisp, clean, lean and slightly sweet. Yeasty goodness rounds it out. More citrus flavors pop out, some lemon and lime to match the tropical tones. Increasingly delightful. It has all the hoppy delights I require.

Is this a "NE IPA"? What does the brewery call it? Can't find any other info than what was on the crowler label. Maybe they're all NE IPAs?


No comments: