Thursday, January 18, 2018

Clown Shoes The Exorcist Dry Hopped Stout

Clown Shoes The Exorcist Dry Hopped Stout. 8% Alc./Vol. Brewed and canned by Clown Shoes Beer, Boston, MA.

Utter blackness, deep and dark, huge head, vast and cocoa-toned, leaving lace, looking nice.

In the nose: dark tones bump up against high hoppiness. Do we say dry hopped stout instead of Black IPA now? It's interesting, I'll say that.

In the mouth: Big, vibrant, bitter hop notes butt up against chocolate malt and the rich toffee/caramel notes. They don't go together well. Some one put pine cones in my chocolate....and it doesn't really do anything for me. Huh. It's not bad, but I don't like it, and I won't return to it. Maybe the stouts shouldn't be dry-hopped? Perhaps that's not the best thing to do. Just throwing that out there.

I love hoppy beers, and I love stouts, but I don't think the two need to be so entwined.

No comments: