Friday, January 5, 2018

Mpls Breweries Day by Day #6: Sisyphus & Jim Beam Me Up Imperial Stout

In the effort for this project, I saw 5 Minneapolis breweries in a row, and on the sixth day, I rested. No, that's a lie, I definitely did not rest. Sunday, December 31 was a visit to a brewery in St. Paul and one in Wisconsin. You've seen a little of the one, and will soon see more of the other. At the end of those voyages, more sharing of special bottles at a friend's place, to ring in the new year. Happy Calendar Ending Day, everyone!

And on the seventh day, I kind of rested. No work. Went nowhere, spent no money. Ate the food I had, drank the beer on hand. Since I'm trying to see 32 breweries in the window of 37 days, and since I can foresee making two such visits on one day, clearly I can take a couple of days off from the project.

And on Tuesday, January 2, 2018, I began again, stopping into one of my favorites, Sisyphus, 712 Ontario Avenue inside the Dunwoody campus, my second visit in a week, for their latest beer that I cannot get in a crowler, on a quick stop before getting on track to getting to work. It wasn't the sort of beer you can just guzzle. It's called Jim Beam Me Up, and it's a Beam barrel-aged Imperial Stout, and it's every
thing I want.

I've rarely been there in the afternoon, and my seat neighbor asked if I was a Dunwoody student. Nope, just a beer lover. There are some Sisyphus beers I haven't written about here, because they can't be crowlered. This is the project for which I break my rules and take those notes. I got there at 4:24 and knew I had less than 20 minutes before I could race to the next bus and try to catch a light rail train, in a mad effort to make it to work on time. I was a little late. The world didn't end, but I don't want to be late, nonetheless. And this was not a beer to chug down, rather one to enjoy at leisure. Which I couldn't do.

My notes read: Jim Beam Me Up, Bourbon Barrel-aged Imperial Stout, 11.5%.
 "Big. Thick. Viscous. Vanilla, cherry, molasses, anise. Big-boned and burly, but hanging tight to the sweet side. Rich and malty. I could take it a touch drier, but I still like it."

And here's what they say:

We're giving this beer all she's got captain! Better "Jim Beam Me Up" Our latest barrel aged beer release! This imperial stout was aged in a Jim Beam barrel, and the robust aroma lets you know before you even taste it.
Tons of vanilla and roast notes, that follow you as you take your first sip. The taste finishes with a nice rich cracker/bread note that rounds out the beer. Come in from the Minnesota cold and warm up with one of these!

No comments: