Sunday, February 4, 2018

Samuel Adams New England IPA

Samuel Adams New England IPA. Hazy & Juicy. Keep Cold, Drink Fresh. 6.8% all. by vol. 35 IBUs. Ale. Proud to be Independent American Craft. Brewed at the Boston Beer Company, Boston, MA.

Thoroughly hazy, bright orange tint, voluminous ivory head above.

In the nose: Soft, delicate hop aromas. A model of restraint. Floral, lightly fruity, not much else.

In the mouth: Okay. Juicy. Definitely juicy. Minor bitterness, not much hop flavor going on, but juicy.

Confession time: I drink a lot of juice. In my fridge, there's always some o.j., but there's also a companion. Grapefruit. Apple. Strawberry kiwi. Cranberry raspberry. Peach. Pineapple Mango. With Lime. I drink juice all day, every day. Even the fancy, chunky kind, when I can afford it.  I drink much more juice than I do beer, or water. Juice, juice, juice, I love juice.

But I don't need my beer to be juicy. It's okay when it is, and I like it. But it's not a characteristic that I demand in my IPAs. What I want in my IPAs are hop bitterness, which some people apparently feel should be omitted entirely. No way, I say.

And it's very lacking here. They have to stop calling this style "IPA". Hazy, juicy something, but not IPA.

Medium-bodied, easy drinking, tra-la-la. Good New England IPA, and you can drink it. I guess.

The slight sweetness is perfectly balanced by the pineapple and grapefruit hop character, without being overly bitter. Clocking in at 6.8% ABV and a low 35 IBUs, the unfiltered IPA provides a burst of fruited hop aroma and leaves drinkers wanting another sip. In comparison to West Coast style IPAs which have prominent hop bitterness and a light, dry mouthfeel, New England IPA’s are generally known for a juicy, luscious mouthfeel and opaque, hazy appearance - and are best enjoyed fresh.

No comments: