Thursday, February 15, 2018

HeadFlyer Heavy D.

Here we have the first appearance of HeadFlyer Brewing in the Nib. I've been there three times, and drank their beers there twice. I'll tell you about that later. I'll certainly be back in the future. And I've got more to say about them, of course, but let's just celebrate their entrance with these notes on a growler I picked up Sunday last.

HeadFlyer Heavy D. 8.5% ABV, 48 IBU. HeadFlyer Brewing, Minneapolis, MN.

Heavy haze, ultra cloudy, slim white head, murky golden hue.

In the nose: Citrus-y hop flavors, a little pine, a pinch of grapefruit. Nice.

In the mouth: ooh, juicy! Hmmm, lots of bitter hop flavors deployed on the palate. Bold and tasty. It's sweet and malty, then turns to bitter and citric. Tons of tropical tones. Strength rises and rises. Just enough of the flavors and feelings to keep me satisfied. It's my own personal chocolate Jesus. But hoppy and beer. And you don't have to wrap this savior up in cellophane.

Tasty stuff, indeed. Good hazy IPA, and I'm drinking it. Am I turning a corner on this? Maybe it's not the road to ruin. One never knows....

The bigger, heavier cousin to our Juicy IPA. Double dry hopped with a heavy dose of Citra and El Dorado, we added Amarillo to the mix to produce a juicier nose. 

No comments: