Thursday, February 1, 2018

56 Nosehair Bender IPA

My first taste of this was from a sampler growler brought to me by a brewery representative. Naturally, I said, "what the heck kind of name is that?" And I tried it, and I liked it, and thought, okay, put that one in the maybe pile. Later, I saw cans at the store, amazed they stuck with that name, and bought a six-pack with my own dollars. Drank five down just fine, and here I pick away at the sixth.

Nosehair Bender Dry-hopped IPA, Brewed and canned in NE Minneapolis by 56 Brewing. 6.8% ABV. 65 IBUs.

Hazy, bright golden-hued, creamy white head holds down the fort on top.

In the nose: soft, lightly bitter, slightly spicy. Citrus and pine rises in power.

In the mouth: With the first sip, a juicy bomb explodes, blasting surgical strikes of bitterness about the palate. Very tasty, this one, hits all the right notes for me. Pleasing hop attack turns from juicy to dry, and I don't mind that one bit. Medium body, long-lasting hoppy flavor. I'm liking this more and more.

But that name? Come on. What do nose hairs have to do with anything? The aromatics are perhaps the least impressive part to this one. Ah, well. I wish them luck with it, but the phrase isn't pleasing and the imagery revolting. Someone should have said no somewhere.

A New England Style IPA brewed with Amarillo, Centennial, Chinook, Citra and Simcoe Hops, which are all added in the whirlpool and fermenter. This produces an intense citrus aroma, like walking through a tangerine grove. The body of the beer is smooth and sweet. It finishes with a pleasant citrus bitterness.

No comments: