Thursday, February 1, 2018

Indeed First Draft IPA

Indeed First Draft IPA 2.0. Indeed Brewing, Minneapolis, MN. 6.4% ABV, 70 IBU.

Growler filled Thursday 1/25 at Indeed Taproom, drinking it the AM of February 1. I'm sure it held up for a week.

I'm going to blather on for a bit about one of my obsessions, and it won't be Benjamin J. Grimm, aka The Thing of Marvel's Fantastic Four. No, something more directly related to this blog, and that is my beer glass collection. I am about to open an IPA from Indeed, but I have no IPA glasses with the Indeed logo. I have two "IPA glasses",  (what's the name for them? I thought they were called 'spiegelau', but that's the manufacturer) one branded for Surly Todd the Axe-Man, and one for Town Hall Masala Mama. (Used to have a Sierra Nevada, but it broke, alas.) Should I use one of those, when I have other Indeed-branded glasses, a shaker pint, a Belgian-style tulip/snifter, and a "teku" that is really designed for a sour beer? You know, they do have Indeed logo IPA glasses. Should I get one and add to the already too large collection? Do I need every style of glass for every brewery? What's wrong with the shaker pint? Oh, they just look better in the other glass!

So, I'm going to try out the sour ale "teku" style just for fun, see how it looks, if it helps the aroma, etc. Of course, it will, who am I kidding. But I had to hear from all sides, of course. Now that the panel has concluded it's discussions, it's time to drink!

Big snow-white head, clear, golden-toned. Looking great.

In the nose: fresh, lively, vibrant, alive with citrus, berries, pine. Beautiful, ripe and fruity.

In the mouth: a cornucopia upon the palate. Blueberry, lime, grass, pine, starting fruity, turning bitter. Lean bodied, crisp, light malt. We've got the classic combo of Mosaic and Citra, that old standby Simcoe, and that new one, Denali, which doubles down on the citrus and pine. Wonderfully consumable, this, with a non-stop bitter hop delivery. I enjoyed the heck out of it.

This one is called First Draft 2.0 because they plan on tinkering with it some more until they've perfected some kind of final version to be their year-round India Pale Ale. Getting close, guys, not too shabby.

No comments: