Friday, February 2, 2018

Scaldis Triple Blond Ale

Scaldis Blonde Ale Tripel, Brasserie Dubuisson, Pipaix,Belgium. 10.5% ABV.

I can't believe I've never had this before. Where has it been? Here in the Nib, I've included only a few beers from Brasserie Dubuisson, those being the Scaldis Noel (they're called Scaldis in the States and Bush in Belgium, probably due to issues with Anheuser-Busch.) and the Cuvee des Trolls 10th Anniversary edition. Over in BeerAdvocate.com, where I posted my reviews before starting this blog in 2010, I've had, in addition to those, the original Cuvee des Trolls, Peche Mel, Scaldis Amber, and Bush de Noel Premium. How did this one escape me? Well, I finally found it, marked down at a local store.
I can't help second-guessing my glassware choices.
I hunted for my Scaldis glass, which must have gotten
broken long ago, but should definitely have gone with
a fancier Belgian chalice, rather than this simple snifter.

To the eye: slim, white head, murky appearance, amber hue, very rustic-looking.

In the nose: a little sour at first, slightly fruity, touch of hops.

In the mouth: Hops, fruit, alcohol. Bigness in each. A load of crispy, cracker-y malt on the palate, but high hops, booze, yeast loom over all. Large and boozy. Not that that's ever a bad thing. Big, boozy, Belgian-y, yum. I enjoyed this big bottle until the night came to a crashing end. Funky, fruity, wild and weird. These guys....man, these guys. Note to self: Go out and get the rest of the Scaldis', bring 'em all into the Nib.

In this tripel, the in-bottle re-fermentation has given an intense effervescence to the aromas of the Bush Blonde. The re-fermentation has also sympathetically developed the Blonde's well-rounded, tender character. 

I yanked that off of Untappd, not sure where they got it from. This is the back label: "Scaldis Blond Triple is Brasserie Dubuisson's golden ale. Sharing the finesse and balance of all the delicious Scaldis beers, it is an elegant and day ale with wonderful orchard fruit aromas of orange and peach. And because it is re-fermented in the bottle, it has the natural sparkle that perfectly compliments it's flavors. Suitable for cellaring."




No comments: