Sunday, February 11, 2018

Utepils Pils Czech-style Pilsner

I was glad to get this sample recently, from an Utepils representative. I'd had some of their cans before, all of them but this one, and reviewed them all here in the Nib. I'd had it before at my one and only visit to the brewery (I will be back, mind you.) and had gone through a couple of kegs at Acadia, for our rotating local pilsner line. (And it will return there, too.) Just needed a can for the review. And now we do it.

Utepils Pils Czech-style Pilsner. 1 pint can, 5% all. by vol. 37 IBU. Brewed and canned by Utepils Brewing, Minneapolis, Minnesota.

Clear, bright golden coloring, slim ivory head.

In the nose: slightly sweet, malty, floral, nicely hopped.

In the mouth: climbs on board the palate with a slight malty sweetness, checks out with a dry style. Crisp meets clean. Light bodied as can be. Each sip urges on another. Minor hop bitterness, exquisitely approachable, terrifically drinkable.

I don't drink a lot of lagers, or pilsners, but I can appreciate a good one. This is one.

UTE = OUTSIDE | PILS = BEER; NORWEGIAN FOR THE FIRST BEER ENJOYED IN THE SUNSHINE AFTER A LONG, DARK WINTER. OUR SIGNATURE PILSNER IS BREWED WITH CZECH-GROWN BARLEY AND HOPS; FERMENTED WITH A CZECH LAGER YEAST STRAIN.

No comments: