Friday, May 25, 2018

BlackStack Thread Count Double Dry Hopped Double IPA

BlackStack Thread Count Double Dry Hopped Double IPA. 8.5% ABV.

Thoroughly, utterly hazed. Brush. Dullish golden hue. Big, gleaming ivory head, leaving lace.

In the nose: Juicy from the jump. Pineapple first, guava, passionfruit, mango. All the tropical stuff. Nary a note of bitterness. Very nice.

In the mouth: Smooth, soft, fruity and fine. I just figured out the name. It's cause comforting as a blanket. At first I was going to connect it to that desired virtue of "pillowy", but pillows don't have thread counts, do they? No....

Back to the beer. Strong. Powerful. (in alcohol) Hoppy. Smooth, light, and dangerously consumable. A little citrus and a bit of the bitter peeks through the yeast and the tropical. I still haven't given myself over to the hazy style. I still drink a beer like this and wish it wasn't. But it's very good.

And as lovely and sweet and delectable as it is, I miss the bitterness I most enjoy in a double IPA. That's just me, though.

A double IPA double dry hopped with Cashmere and Mosaic hops.

We've all heard less is more, but the thread count we've found more is more. Higher thread count makes for softer sheets and more dry hopping makes for softer beer. Cashmere hops at a double dose are woven (HA!, get it?) with Mosaic creating a seamlessly (HA!, again!), silky synthesis, but dank. Who knew soft could go so hard? 

No comments: