Thursday, May 17, 2018

Town Hall Hefe Weizen

Town Hall Hefe Weizen. 5.6% ABV. Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery, Minneapolis, MN.

I've never reviewed the Hefe Weizen from Town Hall? Man, that's some slacking. Although, looking on BeerAdvocate, I actually reviewed it originally almost fifteen years ago. But then, in the 7 and 1/2 years of this blog, I never went back to it? Shame, shame. So, here's what we'll do: I'll review a pint from this growler I've got, then share that bit of juvenalia from 2003.

Highly clouded, dusky gold, ivory head.

In the nose: Big banana, minor clove, a little touch of citrus.

In the mouth: Nicely spicy on the tongue, clean and smooth on the palate. Orange and banana, with a touch of pepper and clove. Medium bodied, smooth wheat mouthfeel, slightly sweet, ending dry.
Just about right on the money for a Bavarian hefeweizen.

Traditional southern German-style unfiltered wheat beer.

From June, 2003: Appearance: a very solid yellow, with a fine, sturdy white head. The tone is already being set here, for it perfectly hits all the right notes for a hefe weizen.

Aroma: big fat lemon, and I wish the server might have asked whether I needed the addition of a slice of said fruit. Probably out of sheer habit, the way one would be foolish to not serve a Corona with lime. The masses like, I don't. She merely tossed it out, after I did. The lemon looms so large, that the slice is overkill. Spicy, sparkling, zesty, uplifting, fresh, perfect.

Great weizen texture, too, lively play, decent hop showing, just-right malt spine. Creamy, tasty, refreshing, full-bodied.

Sweet fruity flavors persist all the way down the pint, which was fully enjoyed. A bright shining example of a hefe weizen. I'll try to take in more of these while summer lasts, and make the most of it!

Good job again, Town Hall!

No comments: