Thursday, May 24, 2018

Modist Shook Strawberry

Modist Shook Strawberry. 7.5% ABV. Modist Brewing, Minneapolis, MN.

It was my own fault.

It had been months since I'd been to Modist, despite my best intentions. I finally stopped in on Sunday, May 13, dodging a few dogs to get to my barstool. There were a few beers new to me, including Deviation 11 and Double Ghost Vision Double IPA. But, I couldn't take home a growler or a crowler because, well, they said so. (And not because it was past 6 on a Sunday, which seems to be a suburban thing.)
I'm sure that if I got there weeks ago, when they were newly on tap that it might have been allowed. But not anymore. And that meant that they only beer I could take home that I'd never tried was the strawberry milkshake beer.

And I've made myself know on my opinions of milkshake beers.

So, even though I promised, I'm going to do it anyway. It's the second in the Shook series, after the pineapple, which I entirely missed. They're being called New England IPAs on Untappd. Maybe they don't have a "milkshake" category yet? I hope they never do.

Completely clouded, color of cream and strawberries, a little pink, a touch orange-ish, with a slim, but solid, staying slab of foam above.

In the nose: a little bit of hoppy buzz right off, then it's all fruit. Strawberry and hops. Okay.

In the mouth: nice hop blast at the start, then creamy, and after that it's all fruit. Sweet, slightly tart, and just a bit creamy. We've got the vanilla and the milk sugar, and "tons of strawberries". Plus, just the right hops, naturally. It's a beer and I can drink, and I appreciate the hoppiness, but it just doesn't work in this format. If they'd just disassociate this experiment from IPAs. Make your milkshakes, just don't make them as IPAs. Doesn't work.

I wish I'd sampled this as a single can. This 750ml crowler is more than I want. But I had to try it.
Couldn't help myself. I'll finish it, but I've gotten my fill already. On the other hand, I swore an oath to drink every beer that I drink. No drain pours.

Damn those oaths.

IPA brewed with tons of strawberries, vanilla bean, milk sugar, tons of Citra & Mosaic hops, and tons of fire emojis


2 comments:

Jonas said...

To ''drink every beer that i drink'' is something that i can really get behind.
Does that include infected brews as well? That's where i draw the line.

Al McCarty said...

Quite a different story. That would be a definite distinction.