Monday, May 21, 2018

Surly Heat Slayer Kolsch-style beer

Surly Heat Slayer Kolsch-style beer. 5% ABV. Surly Brewing Company, Minneapolis/Brooklyn Center, MN. Available in the summer sample pack or on tap.

This beer came with a letter. So many funny things in it that I'm going to share it with you at the bottom. And none of them appear on the can. More hilarity there. It's all so small I can't even read it. Maybe I'll try it later. For now, I'm anxious to taste this one, I'm a fan of kolsches done right, so let's crack open that can, and check it out.

Clear, bright golden color, small but lasting head of ivory foam above. Looking very nice.

In the nose: light and floral, slightly grainy, just a touch of fruity sweetness, way off in the distance.

In the mouth: Crisp, dry, just a touch bitter. A little bit of fruit, melon, apple, backed up with a smack of hops. Light and easy drinking. Very mellow, very cool.

So this one is light, dry, crisp and, yes, "crushable", as everyone likes to say these days. Some day they'll tire of it. I hope. And it's a bit hoppier than I'd prefer, but this is the Surly way, after all. A purist would condemn it. I'm not that much of a purist, but I could go with a little less bitter, and more from apple and pear. Those delicate fruit notes that the kolsch yeast gives, in the true interpretation. Which this is not. (Help! I'm caught in a time loop!)


Again, though, this is the Surly interpretation. They never said they'd be true to style. And I could definitely toss a few back without a quarrel.

The mercury climbs, the humidity oppresses, and the sun bakes. Our solution? HeatSlayer, a crisp, refreshing answer to the summer swelter.

MALT
Pilsner, Wheat, Acidulated Malt, Carafoam
HOPS
Spalt Select
YEAST
Kolsch German Ale Yeast
OG
11.5
COLOR Straw-Yellow


No comments: