Friday, May 11, 2018

Blackstack Local 755 NE IPA

Blackstack  Local 755 NE IPA. Hazy, Juicy, Soft. Brewed and packaged by BlackStack Brewing, St. Paul, MN. 6.6% Alc./Vol.

I know when I've been negligent, and I certainly have been negligent in covering the beers of St. Paul's BlackStack Brewing. I'd been there once last March, not long after they opened, but did not take notes. When I'm with people and in conversation, I tend to keep the notebook closed. But I promised to return and consider their products here in the Nib, but no matter how much I meant to, I just never did. So many reasons. They're in St. Paul. It's way over there. Etcetera.

On that first visit, there were no growlers or crowlers available. Then, they started appearing in stores. Something always jumped ahead of them, though, and I never purchased one. I finally bought a 4-pack of this beer in cans a few weeks back, but drank them all before taking notes, something which rarely happens. To correct this, I made it back down to the brewery last week and stocked up on some BlackStack offerings, and will commence making up for lost time with this one, in that much favored NE IPA style. (I was with friends again that time, and also did not crack the spiral, but these cans will make up for lack of notes.)

Well, is it ever hazy. It's got the haze craze for days. Bright-ish golden toned, solid layer of cloud white foam on top. Looking nice.

In the nose: soft, silenced, citrus. Muted, would be another way to put it.

In the mouth: Big juicy. And "pillowy", too, is a word I'd use. Light bitter, high juice, and a big dose of tropical tones, with a side order of citrus. Just bitter enough. Medium bodied, easy drinker.

It's got all those things the NE-style lover wants, but this one does not make the case for replacing the original style. As it is, mighty fine version of the style. I can drink it and be happy.

New England style IPA. A specialty of Blackstack Brewing: soft, juicy and refreshing. A reserved bitterness lets the pungent aromas from the hops shine brightly.

Hmm. I feel like more can be said. From the label: "Blackstack is family run and Local 755 is our baby, our spoiled, spoiled baby. This ale gets what it wants, Period. Citra, Amarillo and Azacca hops? Done. Two massive dry hop additions? But of course. The result is a juice bomb of white peach and ripe mango flavors with minimal bitterness. Soft, hazy, and truly as perfect as we think it is, biased though we are. Pour up." 

There's an odd phrase right there: "As perfect as we think it is." I've been on record about calling your own creation 'perfect.' Talk about spoiling the baby.

No comments: