Thursday, April 29, 2021

Goose Island 312 Urban Wheat Ale

Goose Island 312 Urban Wheat Ale.


4.2 % ABV, 19 IBU. Goose Island Brewing, Chicago, IL. 

At last, I think to myself, an excuse to use my Goose Island 312 glass! And then I have to think, why do I have this? When have I used it before (I have other weizen-style glasses.)? Where did I get it? And then I started to wonder why I had the beer. Then, I remembered. My boss at the retail store I currently work at just decided to open up a variety pack of Goose Island to do a tasting with staff, and this one was left over, so I took it home. 

And now I discover that I reviewed it fifteen and a half years ago. I'm going to drink it and look at those old notes...posted on BeerAdvocate back in September, 2005:

So strange to see this beer "retired", as I'd just bought it, and never heard of it. Our local distributor doesn't like adding the number of beers they carry from a brewery like Goose Island, so I could only get it in the pub pack.

And, I've put away the pint glass I was going to use, as the box urged to employ correct glassware, and I always obey the box. Into a Weihenstephaner weiss glass you go!

Hazed, straw yellow look, big, booming head, commands the top of the glass, but assuredly simmers down. 

Aroma: soft, spicy, citric. Banana and lemon on top, creamy underneath...nice. 

Nice in the taste, too. Soft and mellow, fruit and light spices. Delightfully flavorful, and terrifically quenching. Very downable, light and easy, delicate in flavor, but tasty as heck.

Reminds me a bit of Oberon, without the funky yeast. 

If that silly distributor would have let me pick this up in a 6-pack, I surely would have gone through plenty over the summer.

I'm going to let those old notes stand. They do the trick. And I always use that Weihenstephaner glass, every time, except this time. 

And I have to notice that despite my last statement in those old notes, how rarely I've touched this beer since. And how quickly after this that it became one of their best sellers, and ubiquitous on tap.

Inspired by the city of Chicago and densely populated with flavor, 312’s spicy aroma of Cascade hops is followed by a crisp, fruity ale flavor delivered in a smooth, creamy body that's immensely refreshing.

No comments: