Monday, April 26, 2021

HeadFlyer Peach Whip Ale

HeadFlyer Peach Whip Ale.


5.2 % ABV, HeadFlyer Brewing, Minneapolis, MN. 

And here we have the fifth appearance of HeadFlyer Brewing in the Nib, the first in over two years, and the first time from a can. What took me so long? Suffice to say that I never saw anything that compelled me to buy, though did give a few some long, hard looks. Maybe next time, Coffee Porter. And this one was just given to me, so I had no choice. It certainly doesn't seem like my usual thing. Let's find out about it. 

First, I check it on Google, and have to bypass the stuff about a brand of pale ale made by the leader of a heavy metal band. Then, I use my noggin and guess that it's probably a cream ale with fruit added.  Next, I check their website and confirm my suspicions. I go into this knowing that it is definitely nothing I would spend my own money on, but forward we must go. 

It's all hazy-like, dull orange color, large, long-lasting ivory cap. 

In the nose: Sweetness. Fruit. Not much else. 

In the mouth: Fruit. Cream. Peach flavors coming forward. Silky smooth. Light bodied, easy drinking. Milky. A milkshake cream ale. This is what milkshake IPAs should be. Stop pretending to be an IPA, if that's what you're struggling not to be. Just be this. 

I will finish this, because that it what I do, and I tried it because that it what I do, but would never choose one again, knowing what it is. Maybe it's for you, though, go knock yourself out. I don't judge. (Well, maybe a little.But when I do, you deserve it.)

The freshest iteration of our Fruited Whip Series is Peach Whip, featuring healthy amounts of milk sugar and oats for a creamy mouthfeel, and of course loads of Peach for that taste of summer.

No comments: