Thursday, April 1, 2021

Sweetwater 420 Extra Pale Ale

Sweetwater 420 Extra Pale Ale.

5.7 % ABV, 39 IBU. Sweetwater Brewing, Atlanta, GA. 

It is 2021 and Sweetwater Brewing of Atlanta, GA has just entered the Minnesota market. I have not had any of their beers in well over ten years (hence this being their first appearance in the Nib), but I have had at least 5 of their beers previously, procured through beer trades, including this one. So, I'm going to look at my old notes, plucked off of BeerAdvocate.com and see what I thought then, back in March of 2005: 

hey, 420, that's my apartment number! they must have brewed this for me, right? very sly suggestions on the label at the real inspiration for that name..."kind" beer..yeah, huh!

clear, light, peachy/amber color, thin, but staying bone-white head.

Nice, hoppy aroma...cascades and such...some citrus, peach, lemon, a nice fruity bouquet...lovely.

Taste: smooth, yet crisp and hoppy, a trifle spicy, then mellow...a gentle, peachy/fruity flavor, very tasty, drinks like a dream...a very agreeable pale ale, even if it's inspired by dope addicts.

Much better than the numbers, a very nice ale.

Cheers to Southernbrew!

So, back to 2021: The "southernbrew" that I cheered was, of course, the user name of the trader that got it to me. I can't imagine what I sent him, the beer scene here was like, dullsville, man, back then. The numbers refers to the ranking on that site. I gave it a 3.75. It's current average is 3.66, my rank is 2.5 % higher than that. Now, it is time to drink again, for the first time in sixteen years. Hmmm. Yeah, it is a good pale ale and you can drink it. On first re-reading those notes, I though, man, I was hung up on "peach", but drinking again, I get it. You got it right, me of 2005. 

SweetWater 420 Extra Pale Ale, our most popular brew, is a tasty West Coast Style Pale Ale with a stimulating hop character and a crisp finish. 1st brewed on April 20th 1997

No comments: