Sunday, April 4, 2021

Sisyphus Flagship IPA

 

Sisyphus Flagship IPA.

8% ABV, 100 IBU. Sisyphus Brewing, Minneapolis, MN.

And here we have a beer from Sisyphus that, according to Untappd, I have enjoyed seven times over the past year or so, one of those from a crowler at home, yet I have not reviewed it yet. Was I under the assumption that it was the same as the beer previously called West Coast IPA, and that I shouldn't review it twice? Looking back, it seems that I edited my original post when the name was changed to Back to the Past IPA, a name change that I disliked, for I don't want that style to be considered a "thing of the past." Maybe Sam agreed with this assessment and changed the name again? Or, maybe it is a different beer? 

I am going to give this beer, new or recycled, a review though, out of the goodness of my heart. What if a dear reader wishes to search this blog for my thoughts on Flagship and comes away wanting? 

Also, this may be a good point to share a little list I compiled, out of curiosity, of the the breweries that appear here in the Nib the most, which, naturally makes them my favorites, if not now, then, at least, historically. Number one is no surprise: Minneapolis Town Hall Brewery, at 199. 2: Oliphant, 132. 3: Surly, 127. And #4: Sisyphus, 106. I must like this place. Or., is it because they change the names of their beers, and I keep repeating them? 

Just for kicks, here's the rest of the Top Ten: 5: Dave's BrewFarm, 84. 6: New Belgium, 69. 7:Summit, 66. 8: Venn, 62. 9. Wild Mind, 61. 10: Sierra Nevada, 60. Want to see the Top, I dunno, 50? Maybe later. 

(By the way, this list does not mean that I like Summit, for instance, better than, say, Ommegang, or De Dolle, or Samuel Smith's. It's just that I've had 66 opportunities to talk about them over the past 10 years, for whatever reason, through whatever circumstance. And of course, I try not to actually name or play any favorites.)

On with the beer:

Perfectly clear, golden/amber hue, slim, soon settled, ivory head. 

In the nose: Bright, hoppy, citrus and pine. Orange, lime, grapefruit. 

In the mouth: Powerful bitterness from the jump, big, fat, dank and resinous juicy-oosy, and ultimately dry and satisfying. Hop flavors lean hard on the palate and last a long, long time, stretching through the finish. Medium bodied, relentlessly hoppy, easily enjoyable to a dedicated hop-head like me. This perfectly embodies the style and is right in my wheelhouse. 

I just now peeked at the post for Back to the Past West Coast IPA, and these two are certainly cut from the same cloth, if not actual duplicates. Forgive this repeat, I beg of you. After all, it didn't cost you nothing. 

Sure, you could move to California and drink a bunch of great IPA. But think of the traffic! The earthquakes! The hippies! Why not just stay here in Minnesota and enjoy this pine-forward, bitter West Coast style IPA? Much better.

And you know what? I really appreciate the lack of snark and sarcasm. West Coast IPA is a good thing, and not something to be smirked about ironically. 

No comments: