Monday, April 19, 2021

Hammerheart Fimbulvetr Oak-Smoked Wheat Hazy DIPA

Hammerheart Fimbulvetr Oak-Smoked Wheat Hazy DIPA.

10.6 % ABV. Hammerheart Brewing, Lino Lakes, MN. 

Here we have a beer I've had before, but never in this form. The first time, according to my posts on Untappd, as well as my blog post of May, 2016, was at the brewery. With Jason, and my Mom. I checked into it on Untappd three times when I had it on tap at Acadia in February and March of 2018. And now, here it is in cans. And I will drink it once more. Oak Smoked. Wheat. IPA. Double. Hazy. Here we go...

First, when I stage this thing before drinking: 1. I miss my now-gone, long-broken Hammerheart glass. It's long-past time to revisit the taproom and get a new one. 2. Why is Hammerheart the only brewery, it seems, to never do coasters?  They are sorely missed in my collection. 

On with the beer: 



Thoroughly hazed, bright orange coloring, large and lush creamy white head. Looking great. 

In the nose: Smoked malt hits first. Beyond that, fruity hop associations. We get the sense of an IPA, but the smoke caps it all. Who put their smoked sausage in my IPA? 

In the mouth: Slips down the throat like a dream. A smokey, hoppy, utterly unheard-of dream. Most surreal. This is a wonderful, funderful treat. How often do you find a smokey IPA, or double IPA? Damn. Smooth and lovely. Just enough of everything. 

I carried a good amount of Hammerheart beers at Acadia that never made it into the Nib, because I didn't take notes at the bar back then. Various reasons. And so, I'm glad to revisit them again, in can or bottle form. They sure are nice. And weird. And I like that. 

Named after the brutal winter that will destroy a third of mankind before Ragnarok in Norse mythology. This beer is a hazy IPA with mellow smoke undertones complimenting floral, juicy hops. 

Brewer owned since 2013. 


No comments: