Sunday, June 6, 2021

Ayinger Bräuweisse Authentic Bavarian Hefe Weizen

Ayinger Bräuweisse Authentic Bavarian Hefe Weizen. 


5.1 %, 13 IBU, Ayinger Privatbrauerei, 
Aying, Bayern Germany

A couple of years back, I came to the shocking discovery that none of the Ayinger beers had been entered into this blog, after nearly nine years of activity. Since then, six have appeared here. Now, I'm finally getting around to the seventh, and I will be looking back on notes I originally posted on BeerAdvocate.com in May of 2003, 18 years ago. How do they hold up? Let's see...

Appearance: hazy, lemon-rind-yellow hue, with a towering, snow white head.

Aroma: super fresh! Ahhh!!! Lemony, soft, luxurious, delightful!

Luxurious mouthfeel, at first, until I realize that I'm drinking the foam. As for the actual beer, smooth, but complex, and delicious wheaty texture. Just enough grit and resistance to keep the tongue busy and happy. 

Though the body has plenty of substance, the overall nature of this brew is light and breezy. Citrus flavor continues through and is felt long through the satisfying finish. 

No lemon needed here, it's plentiful in this beautiful brew itself ( and is also extant in the Thai shrimp pad thai that this blissful weizen is helping to wash down).

I agree with me in my early thirties. And now I know what I'm having for dinner. 

This beer is available in 2 formats at the retail store where I currently work. Either the 500 ml bottles or the 4-pack of 12 ounce bottles. I chose the second option because it works out to be a better deal. And I can definitely throw back four of these, especially with the temps in the 90's now. 

Fragrance and taste of the “yeast-cloudy” wheat beer are distinguished by a refined top-fermented flowery-yeast character and an unmistakable, distinct banana aroma. First sensation on the taste buds is full-bodied, very soft and mild with a lively, champagne-like sparkle. A light, typical wheat beer taste is expressed, the bitter tone of which can scarcely be detected. The sparklingly refreshing Ayinger Bräuweisse will impress every wheat beer connoisseur with the first mouthful.


No comments: