Sunday, June 13, 2021

St. Bernardus Wit

St. Bernardus Wit. 

5.5 % ABV, 10 IBU. Brouwerij St.Bernardus, Watou, Vlaanderen Belgium

A funny thing happened. A friend of mine brought up the subject of witbiers and asked for recommendations. I mentioned this one, as I always do. At the store where I currently work, if anyone's looking for a wit, that's were I go first. And then I checked this here blog, and it's nowhere to be seen. Only a variation called Tokyo Wit, but that's not this. Have I not had it once in the past 10 years? Apparently.

And so, I bought a 4-pack, opened one up, took a picture, and we're looking back on notes from July, 2005, probably from on-tap at the Blue Nile...

Appearance: absolutely hazed, faint yellow, slim white head.

Aroma: spice hits first, then soft fruit, pear and citrus, orange, pineapple?, lemon...

Taste: exceptionally smooth, exquisitely soft, a definite joy in the mouth. Coriander taste is consistent throughout and dominates the more delicately played fruit component. Light and utterly downable, yet with significan yeast in the texture to secure it as medium bodied, and so flavorful, it causes one to pause and luxuriate in it's splendor. 

A brilliant summertime brew, and would be a great dinner beer, as well...you could toss back a pitcher of it, washing down hot, hearty food!

An exceptional wit!

I agree with me from almost sixteen years ago. It's ranked as the #2 wit on BeerAdvocate.com, after the more easily found (though not here) Allagash White, which I haven't had in forever. Go get yourself some and tell them Al sent you. 

This traditional Witbier (Wheat beer) has been developed in cooperation with Master Brewer Pierre Celis, the Godfather of Hoegaarden and Celis White. 

This beer as well has a second fermentation in the bottle, giving this beer its specific taste (5.5% alcohol content).

2 comments:

Richard Sanford said...

I still love the Belgians. Where can it be found?

Al McCarty said...

South Lyndale Liquors.