Tuesday, June 1, 2021

Früh Kölsch

 Früh Kölsch.

4.8% ABV, 19 IBU. Cölner Hofbräu Früh, Cologne, Nordrhein-Westfalen Germany

So, I was thinking about the trends in the current beer scene, and how they annoy me, and I thought to myself, "Self", I thought, "why not just avoid them altogether for a while and go traditional?" Good idea, Self! And that's why I bought some German beers the other day, including a 4-pack of Früh Kölsch cans, only $10.99. Why, with some of these trendy, gimmicky beer makers that would only get you half of a 4-pack of diabetes!

I first had Früh from a bottle brought over from Deutschland by one of my Blue Nile regulars, way back in 2003. I gave it a 4.17/5, roughly 9 points above the average. What did I say back then? 

Appeance: pale yellow, bordering on green, with a firm 1/2" collar of foam.

Aroma: fresh, light, delicately hoppy, rather minor in size, but with appreciable fruity notes, which continue on the palate, once the tasting begins.

Light, but lively, happy, with a tangible tangy, citric fruit flavor, and perhaps a touch of apple or pear.

After so many American interpretations, it's great to taste a true kolsch and know once and for all how they should taste. This is a classic, extremely downable, light in body, but with just enough flavor, sweet and lemony, to be worthwhile, and to have me wish this 500 ml bottle would never empty.

Thanks to my pal Dave for bringing it over to the States for me!

What do I think of it compared to the cans I'm drinking now? Surely that sample was fresher, having taken a quicker trip from Cologne to Minneapolis and down into my belly. But that aside, it's the same light, tasty, fruity refresher. 

I like a good kölsch, and this is one of them. 

(Another quick note, because I am obsessed with these things, though they may bore others. About 10 years ago, I reviewed a Sünner Kölsch, and regretted that I hadn't a proper glass, only a Reissdorf Kolsch glass to use. Probably got it from that time I had it on tap at the Blue Nile back in 2004. Last December, I sat down to review a Kolsch from Waldmann, and rued that I hadn't any Kolsch glasses, not even a Reissdorf. I've looked all over, it's gone, broken, send to the dustbin of history. I used a saison glass for that one. This time, I picked the closest I have to the style of glassware, which again was designed for a saison by a Belgian brewery. I'd better get a Kolsch glass already to cure me of this obsession!)

From the recipe by Peter Josef Früh of the family brewery, this top-fermented specialty beer features the best ingredients and is brewed according to the German Purity Law. A favourite beer of Cologne, which became one of the city’s original.

No comments: