Wednesday, June 30, 2021

The Brewing Projekt Citra Patrol Double IPA

The Brewing Projekt Citra Patrol Double IPA.


I thought that I'd take a chance on this beer. After all, it was "merely" $14.99 for the 4-pack for a double IPA. Normally, a DIPA from these guys would be $17-22. What was different about this one?

I didn't find out until after I bought it that this DIPA is only 6.7% ABV. This was missing from the label. I discovered it after the fact. Seems like a lie. But, I didn't know that then. And I liked the art and the name that referred to a video game I played in my youth. 

I wrote these notes on drinking the final can of the four: 

Clouded-up, bright golden, slim white head. 

In the nose: Big citrus, powerful lemon/lime, with a squeeze of orange, all the time, with a slice of tropical on the side. 

In the mouth: Sweetness plus citrus. Utterly lacking in bitterness. Barely negligible in hop flavors on the palate. Lots od Citra flavors & plenty of fuzz. 

Too much sweetness for me. Don't call it an IPA, especially not a double! It's pleasant enough, innocuous, but lacking in every attribute of an IPA. Far too sugary, and once again, how the hell do you call something a double IPA when it's not even 7 % ABV, and it has virtually no hop bitterness!

I feel very ripped off, and will be taking a hiatus from The Brewing Projekt for a while. 

No comments: