Sunday, June 20, 2021

Hacker Pschorr Weissbier

Hacker Pschorr Weissbier. Classic Unfiltered Wheat Beer. 


5.5 % ABV. Hacker-Pschorr (Subsidiary of Paulaner Brauerei), Munich, Bayern Germany

My current goal is to continue to check off of the list of beers missing from this blog the quality German beers available at the retail store where I currently work. I say "quality", because I may have to skip stuff like, you know, St. Pauli Girl. Unless someone gives me a bottle. And our next stop on that tour is the Weissbier from Hacker Pschorr of Munich. Only their Oktoberfest has appeared in the Nib before. This was purchased as a 4-pack of 16 ounce cans. 

I am re-using old notes, as I do, and they are from a bottle and from about sixteen years ago. June 24, 2005, to be exact. 

12 ounce bottle, poured into a Weihenstephaner weisse glass.

...but not very skillfully...we've got 3 inches of beer and 8 inches of foam....now, we play the waiting game..

looks lovely, cloudy tangerine, vast, dotted froth...

aroma: banana, lemon, and orange leap right out the glass and invade the nose, with a kick of spice at the side...traces of cookie dough and soft cinnamon.

Taste: fruity at the fore, sparkly and spicy...then smooth and tasty. Ridiculously drinkable, medium-bodied, with a light, yet lingering citrus & yeast finish.

This beverage easily meets my approval. I could have a hearty session with these in hot weather such as we have now...heck, I'm already on my second bottle!

I agree with my 36-year old self of the past. I gave it 4.35/5 on BeerAdvocate, a good 6.1 % above the average. Who cares, it's good beer and you can drink it. And it is the seventh highest-ranked Hefe Weizen on that site. What tops it? Weihenstephaner at number one, of course, Ayinger, Andeschser, and one from Schneider that I apparently haven't had. The one I have had is at #8. Also, Live Oak from Texas, which has been up there for so long, I have to find a way to try it. And Dancing Man from New Glarus, which I have had and, oddly enough, I gave a below average ranking to that one, 4.18 vs. 4.24 (I mean, close enough, right) and also to Weihenstephaner (4.42 vs. 4.45), and I routinely consider Weihenstephaner the tops.

What does this say, essentially? That I really like German Here Weizens!


No comments: