Tuesday, June 1, 2021

Drumconrath Brewing Blood on the Board Blood Orange Red Ale

Drumconrath Brewing Blood on the Board Blood Orange Red Ale.

5 % ABV, 20 IBU. Drumconrath Brewing, Fargo, ND. 


Clouded, crimson-colored, lean layer of ivory foam. 

In the nose: Ripe and fruity notes from the start, slight hop presence. Mostly malty. 

In the mouth: Getting berries, cherries, some citrus, but not a lot of blood orange. . Hop bitterness is mild to non-existent. Malty background holds it down. I'd pegged this as a berry-flavored ale before ever guessing at blood orange. Citrus flavors are light. Not too pronounced. Lacks the particular twang I'd expect out of a beer of this stripe. Or is my palate confused because I've never had a blood orange red ale before, only in IPAs and other styles? Not sure, but I'm not digging it. 

It's fruity, but not delivering on the fruit advertised. I can't recommend this one. Maybe you'll like it, I don't know. As for me, ...nah. 

Blood orange red ale

No comments: