Tuesday, June 29, 2021

Modern Times Black House Coffee Stout

Modern Times Black House. Coffee. Roasty. Stout. 

5.8 % ABV, 40 IBU. Modern Times Beer, San Diego, CA. 


Solid blackness. Slim layer of creamy brown foam. Complete opacity. 

In the nose: Malty. Earthy. Espresso-rich. 

In the mouth: Sweetness, at first. Cocoa comes along, and then the coffee rises. Medium bodied, exceptionally smooth, and tasty, but I could go with a bit of fullness. Wouldn't mind that at all. 

Perfectly acceptable coffee stout, but nothing I'd make a fuss over. I'll try another Modern Times beer to get a handle on what all the fuss is about. I specifically chose this beer to avoid the styles that they are famous for, because they are the ones I am most tired of. Looks like I'll have to give them a shot. 

It’s so great that you like coffee. I just love that about you. Speaking of which, you’re holding an oatmeal coffee stout positively redolent with coffee aroma and flavor. It’s not acrid. It’s not astringent. It doesn’t taste like that brown puddle at the bottom of the office carafe at 4pm. It kind of tastes like chocolate covered espresso beans, only drier and more like beer. It’s the full-blown coffee beer experience in a sessionable-ish package.

No comments: