Sunday, January 16, 2022

Humble Forager Frosty Winter Double IPA: Nelson Sauvin, Citra, Strata

Humble Forager Frosty Winter Double IPA: Nelson Sauvin, Citra, Strata.

8 % ABV. Humble Forager Brewery, Waunakee, WI. 

And here we have a Humble Forager beer that I might have bought with my own money, if it wasn't given to me for free. No mention of hazy, or New England, or DDH (not that I won't find out that it is once I crack 'er open.) No marshmallows or pastry or sour or seltzer. From everything we can see on this label, it seems that we are promised a normal beer. Could this truly turn out to be true? Let us find out...

to they eye: Oh, it's all hazed up all right. They can't not do it. Dull yellow. Large, bright white head. 

In the nose: Oooh, nice. Beautiful blend of citrus and pine notes. White wine notes enter in as well. 

In the mouth: Slightly fuzzy/yeasty/hazy. All kinds of gunk. Why doesn't anyone else want a clean IPA, I tells ya, yelling at the cloud. Full of hoppy flavors, but muddled up in the muck. 

See the problem is that I only check the front. 

On the side we read: "Our winter version of hazy DDH Double IPA is brewed with winter wheat, a dash of oats and a blend of base malts. Loads of hops were packed into the whirlpool throughout the fermentation and conditioning phase. This IPA boasts huge hop aromas and flavors of zippy citrus, dank kush, rich mango, and Bartlett pears. Take an adventure with us at www.humbleforagerbrewery.com. THINK GLOBALLY FORAGE LOCALLY LIVE HUMBLY DRINK ADVENTUROUSLY"

And the booze comes forth. And it's smooth and ....ugh..."pillowy"...with generous citrus and tropical tones to play on the palate. It's tasty, sure, but I'm still blasé' on the hazies. Don't see me stopping on that one. 

No comments: