Wednesday, January 26, 2022

Sierra Nevada Powder Day IPA

Sierra Nevada Powder Day IPA. Double Dry-hopped. 

7.7 % ABV, 45 IBU. Sierra Nevada Brewing, Chico, CA & elsewhere. 


Not long ago (gosh, a few hours ago, really),  I mentioned here my new-found love of the 12-pack of cans, not merely variety packs but 12, count 'em 12, of the same damned beer. You see, it just makes sense, financially. I'm so used to the 4 & 6-packs, cause I like to keep trying new things. But sometimes you need a lot of something that you can just grab and drink whenever and not worry about. Most people know this and act accordingly. And when you're me, you're all wrapped up in getting that new stuff and writing those reviews, but you need to take a break from that, don't you? Sure, you do. 

So, on the day that this one arrived at the store, I took home a 12-pack, due the economical advantage. A co-worker acted surprised. "You're that sure you're going to like it?" It's Sierra Nevada, how could I not like it? Maybe it won't be my favorite, but how often does that happen? Only a few get to be your favorite. Most are just beers you can drink and you kind of like. Also, I had been kicking myself for not buying Celebration in a 12-pack. 

Well, we're down to can 12, so it's note-taking time. Notes, ahoy!

Clear, bright golden color, snow-white head. 

In the nose: Fresh, vibrant, floral & fruity aromatics. Delivers the delightful hop aromas to satisfaction. 

In the mouth: Citrus hop flavors grace the palate first, some orange and grapefruit, with a dose of pine. Juicy, at first. Loads of hops at play, but the bitterness is a bit muted. As is the style. Just enough flavor and hop bitterness to keep me happy, but not enough to thrill me. And that's okay. Other people need their beers, too. 

I often have to talk people through beer jargon that is at times confusing. "I don't like beers that are too hoppy. This one says it's double dry-hopped. Will I hate it?" No, sir, you will not. Double dry-hopped means they left in twice the not-bitterness. Or something like that. 

Anyway, I liked this one. But, I think my next beer will have to be a little hoppier. Or, bitterer. 

Powder Day Double Dry-Hopped IPA. We started dry-hopping, and it snowballed into a full-on powder day. Notes of citrus, stone fruit, and melon pile high in a blizzard of lupulin powder.

No comments: