Monday, January 24, 2022

Destihl Strawberry Lemonade Sour Seltzer

Destihl Strawberry Lemonade Sour Seltzer.


5 % ABV, Destihl Brewing, Normal, IL. 

A seltzer? A SELTZER?!?, Al, your most hated of enemies? The anti-beer? Yes, I have a seltzer in my possession and I will review it. 

Edit: I don't have to review it. It's not a beer. But this is my blog, and I can write what I want and I feel that I haven't ranted against seltzers in a while. I've been holding it in for too long. Rant away! 

Clear and colorless. Bubbles. 

Nose: Hey, Strawberry Lemonade, just like they promised. 

Mouth: Oooh, sour. How about that strawberry lemonade flavor? Oh, there it is.  And now it's gone. That's what I love about hard seltzers. The lack of flavor. It's so refreshing. 

I'll say this about hard seltzers. It's a segment of the market that is here to stay, and they are also remarkably easy to make. It's a no-brainer to cash in on this. Those people who don't drink beer who got dragged to the brewery by their friends, spouse, associates., etc? Yeah, the people who don't like beer, they need something to drink, don't they?

But I also see people coming into the store wearing a Sierra Nevada t-shirt and they grab a White Claw and turn back around to check out. Who needs beer anymore when we got seltzer!

Or the young lady who pulled out her phone to look something up, maybe reviews of the seltzer she was looking at, and her phone has a sticker on it that reads: I (heart) hops. And she buys the seltzer. And nothing but. That's all she needs in her life now, hard seltzer. Where's your love now, formerly hop loving lady? It's gone, gone, gone. Tear that sticker off! You've betrayed your love of hops!

All over this land people are breathing sighs of relief that seltzer has saved them from beer. Yay, we have seltzer now, no more beer! Thank you, slightly flavored alcoholic fizzy water for rescuing me from beer!

How I hate them. 

(I feel like I have to say this. I don't really hate them. I don't hate anyway. That was just a Charlie Brown reference that 0.5 % of people who read this will get. They just disappoint me. And sadden me. Also, maybe disgust me?)

(God, I'm kidding! these are the jokes, people!)

(and, yes, I realize that some may have turned to the seltzers due to a low-carb diet or having celiac or any number of reasons, but this is my rant, damnit, and I'll rant it I want to!)


No comments: